Sunday, February 22, 2009

How to Hook Reluctant Teen Readers

The session that I found the most useful was How to Hook Reluctant Teen Readers. The speaker Allison van Diepen is the author of the popular YA books Street Pharm, and Snitch. Her latest book will be released this month and has been compared to the popular Twilight series. Allison van Diepen has experience dealing with teenagers as an English teacher both in Ottawa and Brooklyn. I found the session relevant to my job as it provided me with titles to help teens and their parents who are looking for books that will appeal to a non reader. This knowledge will help me in collection development responsibilities and with reader’s advisory. The session also discussed ways to promote the library to teens. The MPL Facebook page could be expanded to include countdowns of when popular teen items will reach the library, and allow open discussions between teens on books. Another idea that I would like to try in the teen section is to have a digital picture frame that can play videos of book chats by teens and authors describing their book. I found the session very informative, and came away feeling that if you can find a teen a book that appeals to them, you have just created a reader for life.
Andrea

No comments:

Post a Comment